Go to Home Page - Archives New Zealand

Peter McIntyre, Second Lieutenant Moananui-a-Kiwa Ngārimu, VC, c.1941-1945

Ref: AAAC 898 NCWA 77

More About this Record

Second Lieutenant Moananui-a-Kiwa Ngārimu (Ngāti Porou, Te Whanau-a-Apanui), 1918-1943, served with the 28th (Māori) Battalion. He was posthumously awarded the Victoria Cross for his actions at Tebaga Gap, Tunisia, on 26 and 27 March 1943:

"During the action at the Tebaga Gap on 26 March 1943, 2nd Lieutenant Ngarimu commanded a platoon in an attack upon the vital hill feature Point 209. He was given the task of attacking and capturing an underfeature forward of Point 209 itself and held in considerable strength by the enemy. He led his men with great determination straight up the face of the hill undeterred by the intense mortar and machine gun fire, which caused considerable casualties. Displaying courage and leadership of the highest order, he was himself first on the hill crest, personally annihilating at least two enemy machine gun posts. In the face of such a determined attack the remainder of the enemy fled, but further advance was impossible as the reverse slope was swept by machine gun fire from Point 209 itself.
Under cover of a most intense mortar barrage the enemy counterattacked and 2nd Lieutenant Ngarimu ordered his men to stand up and engage the enemy man for man. This they did with such good effect that the attackers were literally mown down, 2nd Lieutenant Ngarimu personally killing several. He was twice wounded, once by rifle fire in the shoulder and later by shrapnel in the leg, and though urged by both his company and battalion commanders to go out he refused to do so, saying that he would stay a little while with his men. He stayed till he met his death the following morning.
Darkness found this officer and his depleted platoon lying on the rock face of the forward slope of the hill feature, with the enemy in a similar position on the reverse slope about twenty yards distant. Throughout the night the enemy repeatedly launched fierce attacks in an attempt to dislodge 2nd Lieutenant Ngarimu and his men, but each counterattack was beaten off entirely by 2nd Lieutenant Ngarimu's inspired leadership. During one of these counterattacks the enemy, by using hand grenades, succeeded in piercing a certain part of the line. Without hesitation this officer rushed to the threatened area, and those of the enemy he did not kill he drove back with stones and with his tommy-gun.
During another determined counterattack by the enemy, part of his line broke. Yelling out orders and encouragement, he rallied his men and led them in a fierce onslaught back into their old positions. All through the night, between attacks, he and his men were heavily harassed by machine gun and mortar fire, but 2nd Lieutenant Ngarimu watched his line very carefully, cheering his men on and inspiring them by his gallant personal conduct. Morning found him still in possession of the hill feature, but only he and two unwounded other ranks remained. Reinforcements were sent up to him. In the morning the enemy again counterattacked, and it was during this attack that 2nd Lieutenant Ngarimu was killed. He was killed on his feet defiantly facing the enemy with his tommy-gun at his hip. As he fell he came to rest almost on the top of those of the enemy who had fallen, the number of whom testified to his outstanding courage and fortitude." [London Gazette, 4 June 1943]

(Posthumous Portrait)

Watercolour, 500 x 336 mm
North African Campaign
Medals: Victoria Cross

Tags / Keywords